What is Cloud Penetration Testing?
Cloud Penetration Testing is an essential aspect of the security assurance process for cloud-based systems and assets. It ensures adherence to both internal and external compliance standards while reducing susceptibility to cyber threats. This type of testing verifies that only authorized actions are executable by users and that robust security measures are in place to protect users, especially against the exploitation of compromised accounts by attackers. The process includes identifying vulnerabilities that could be exploited by attackers, authenticated or unauthenticated, to:
- Illegally access sensitive information in the cloud.
- Engage in malicious activities within the cloud environment.
- Breach the security of other cloud users.
- Illicitly escalate privileges within the cloud system.
- Threaten the underlying infrastructure of the cloud services.
Suitable for all types of cloud-based applications, whether for internal or external use, including those integrated with web and mobile platforms, Cloud Penetration Testing aims to uncover vulnerabilities that could impact the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of the cloud systems and the data they process.